Installing a website visitor tracker code is generally a simple procedure that generally takes a few minutes at most. For those that are familiar with their website editors, installing the code is a breeze. If after the tracker code installation, you believe that now all visits are captured, please refer to the “not detecting all visits” information.
If you use a full version of WordPress that allows the use of plugins, please refer to the WordPress plugin installation guide.
The basic principles of installing a tracker code
- The code must be copied and placed into a website header (preferred) or a footer to appear on ALL pages of your website. If your website uses an infinite scrolling feature that loads more content on the bottom as you scroll the page, place the visitor tracker code in the header of your website. If you need to hide the tracker icon, you can enable the invisible tracker option.
- When you copy the code, make sure you have copied it in its entirety and it remains unmodified. If your website uses separate templates for desktop and mobile devices, use the same code for both.
- The code must be placed into your website’s editor as HTML code and not as text. Your editor needs to be switched to a code/HTML editing mode first before placing the visitor tracker code. Otherwise, if it’s pasted as text in text mode editing, it will appear as text on your page and will not work. If it’s placed as an HTML code, the tracker icon will appear as expected
- If you are using any website cache scripts or plugins, these may prevent the tracking scripts from being loaded. Read how to configure website cache scripts to enable normal tracking.
- If you have placed the code correctly and the tracker icon is not showing, try disabling your AD blocker/Virus protection (temporarily) if you have one to verify that it’s not blocking some of your website elements. You can also look at your website’s source code and search for TraceMyIP to see if the code appears in the exact same format as you have placed it. To see your website’s source code, right-click anywhere on the page near the visitor tracker icon (do not click not on images or other elements) and select view page source.
- Refer to the “Check and test visitor tracker” page for more information if required.