If your visitor tracker is not working and not capturing any visits at all, or you suspect you might be missing some data, follow the steps below to verify your visitor tracker code installation and test its functionality.
1. Install your visitor tracker code in the header or a footer of your website first.
The same code must be installed and appear on ALL pages of your website in order for the tracking to work correctly.
- A header or a footer of a website is a good placement option since it will automatically load the visitor tracking code on all pages of your website. The header is better because it will capture your visitors information before any other content loads so you will not miss any important visits.
- If you do not have a visitor tracker code yet, you can click on “Add New Project” menu item and proceed with the recommended steps. If you have lost your visitor tracker code, you can recover the tracker code.
- Once the tracker code is installed properly, the status tracker icon will appear on all pages of your website. This confirms that the installation has been completed.
2. Check settings that can prevent the Visitor Tracker from capturing visitor data in certain situations
IP blocking options. These settings are found under “My Account > General Settings”. Scroll the page to the very bottom. Under the “IP Blocking” section, uncheck “Block my browser automatically”. Next, remove IP addresses if you would like to check the Visitor Tracker using your current computer and the network.
Project settings. Navigate to “My Projects” page, then click on the “edit” link located to the right of your project name.
- Set “Log Filter” to “Off”,
- Set “Domain Tracker Security” to “Inactive”,
- Set “Selective GEO Tracking” to “Track All Countries”.
- Uncheck “Invisible Tracker” check box
- If you have previously set “Advanced Tracking Settings” for GDPR compliance, press the “Configure” button for “Advanced Tracking Settings” and recheck all settings to make sure non of them are blocking or filtering website visitors tracking or for the purpose of testing, select option “EU GDPR does not apply to your project(s)” to reset the settings to their full tracking capacity defaults.
- Click on the “Update” button
3. Visit your website.
- Ensure that the visitor tracker icon is now visible on all pages of your website. If it is still not visible, right click on on any white space of your web page and select “view page source”. Now search for tracemyip.org . Check the code. It must be in the exact same format as you have installed. If the code is different or is not present, re-check your installation procedure.
- Check that the tracker is loaded before all of the multimedia content. Do not install the tracker code in the footer if you have an infinitely scrolling web page that loads more content as you continue to scroll down the page. The visitor tracker will not be loaded if it’s installed in the footer. It must be installed in the header of the website
- When you have verified that your visitor tracker is loading properly, you can restore your IP blocking and tracker visibility settings.