Google search engine is the most user friendly and powerful
As of now, Google is by far the most advanced, yet easiest to use a web search engine that scores extremely high speeds of user search queries. It has the largest database among other competitive search engines such as Yahoo and Bing and delivers superior quality results for the vast majority of queries.
Fortunately, the search engine ranking cannot be purchased, which allows for a fair share of the search results space to high-quality content that brings value to the informational highway. Google search engine’s mechanisms are designed to function as a form of artificial intelligence that independently processes billions of pages of information to bring the most relevant information to the end-users.
Improving your website ranking without spending a fortune
There are simple understand, yet effective methods of achieving a great position in the search engine ranking without a budget that’s outside of reach for many webmasters. Furthermore, most of the methods provided below can be achieved without spending any money at all. Follow the steps below on a consistent basis to achieve fantastic ranking results that can only improve over time. Patience is the foundation of success.
1. Design your website with a user in mind
Websites that are designed around Search Engine Optimization are often difficult to read, navigate and understand. The information should be presented in a way that is easy to break down, make sense of, and understand. Unnatural keyword stuffing, manipulation of informational blocks in a way to accommodate search engines only, results in a presentation that instead of retaining the gained readers, results in a high bounce rate. This means, that even though there could be some initial success in gaining search engines’ attention, the gained traffic served no purpose and brought little or no results that were expected in the first place.
What makes Google search engine different is its ability to evaluate if the websites’ content is well written and if the design elements are properly placed to serve their purpose. This helps to reduce the number of irrelevant results and reduce the number of websites that are simply attempting to get ranking without serving a purpose other than “bait and switch”.
Here are some factors that significantly affect a website ranking, which is regularly evaluated by Google:
- The relevance and quality of the information provided. The search engine artificial intelligence algorithms perform basic proofreading of the content to ensure that the information is well explained and is relevant in relation to the keyword frequency, phrasing utilization, and inbound referrals
- The visual layout and navigational simplicity. The overall website design is evaluated from the point of view of a portable mobile device to ensure that the contents are easy to read without excessive scrolling and the navigational menu and links are placed following common design practices
- Time spent on site. The more time spent on a website per each visit session, the better changes a website will attract more search engines attention. How is it known to search engines? When a person uses a search engine and follows one of the results if the back button on the browser is used almost immediately after a search engine referral is followed, the website score for that particular search query is downgraded.
- Pages per session. A website’s performance and content relevance can be measured by looking at how many pages per session a single visitor views. If most of the visits only result in a single page view, this would be considered a high bounce rate, which means that either the website navigation is difficult or confusing, or the content is not search-relevant or low quality.
- A number of visits. When a website page appears in the search engine results, it has to bring steady traffic that stays the same or improves over time in volume. If the number of monthly visits significantly drops over time, this could mean that a search engine either preferred other higher quality or more updated content in relation to a search query, a search engine market share has dropped, or the content ranking has been downgraded due to competitive activity.
All of the above factors and their success come from the end-user experience, which Google evaluates through advanced bots algorithms. If the website is informative, has unique content, is written in a user-friendly manner, is enjoyable to read and navigate, and is referred to by other websites of a similar level of ranking and relevance, then the efforts would pay back.
2. Get referrals from relevant websites
This is an important one. Having other websites referrals with proper attribution is considered to be voting for your website. Nevertheless, keep in mind that having links from random websites that are not very relevant, can actually be considered as a negative vote. Do not purchase backlinks. Websites that link back for a fee, are usually known by search engines, therefore getting a link that was purchased would negatively impact the ranking of your website.
3. Check your own links. Internal and external
If your website has links that are broken or malformed, these must be corrected in order for your website’s ranking to be unaffected. You can either manually review your links, or use external website services that check your website for broken links.
4. Website loading speed
5. Text attributes and size
Properly used H1 and H2 header tags are a good start to maintain a good relationship with a search engine. An overly large H1 text is a no-no and a contextual text that is significantly smaller than H1 and H2 tags is not good either.
Keep in mind that virtually all very well-known search engines evaluate websites from a mobile device usage point of view. Therefore the header tags and the text body must have reasonable sizes and proper contrast to accommodate the actual website visitors and not just search engines.
6. Domain age and authority
Do not expect your website to skyrocket if you have just acquired a great domain name. Domain names are similar to businesses that have to be truly functional for a number of years with a good public record in order to gain market stability. You must have patience and dedication in order to be trusted and achieve results. That of course could be irrelevant if you pursue and advertised driven traffic only.
7. Social signals
When your website’s content is shared and linked to from social networks, it would be indicative of the actual value of your website.
In conclusion, a website must be
- Well written with easy to understand language
- Designed with simplicity and balanced design and layout elements in mind
- Well attributed by other websites
- Regularly maintained
- Serve the purpose of providing useful content